Great gluten free dairy free cook date today for a Personal Chef client in Grayslake! The highlight was Alton Brown’s Gluten Free Dairy Free Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies. The recipe is so good it’s worth sharing!
Gluten Free Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 8 ounces unsalted butter – If you can’t use real butter, you’ll be fine with a dairy free substitute!
- 11 ounces brown rice flour, approximately 2 cups
- 1 1/4 ounces cornstarch, approximately 1/4 cup
- 1/2-ounce tapioca flour, approximately 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 ounces sugar, approximately 1/4 cup
- 10 ounces light brown sugar, approximately 1 1/4 cups
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons whole milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips, regular or vegan
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Melt the butter in microwave or saucepan on cook top. Set aside to cool.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the rice flour, cornstarch, tapioca flour, xantham gum, salt and baking soda.
In a separate bowl, combine both sugars, melted butter, vanilla, egg yolk, whole egg and milk. Add the flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time. I can normally use a whisk or spatula up to this point. Next add in chocolate chips.
Chill the dough in the refrigerator until firm, approximately 1 hour. Shape into smallb alls and space in 4×3 rows on parchment lined cookie sheet. Make sure to leave space between the cookies. This recipe spreads!
Bake for 14 minutes or until slightly firm and beginning to brown. Cool before serving.